One of the enormous needs in low resource environment is that of BioMedical Engineering support. That is to say, how do you maintain and repair equipment that is used in medical treatment?
There are a variety of aspects to this ongoing challenge. Often the wrong equipment has been sent out and the equipment was not fit for service before it even arrived, frequently being too old, possibly too technical, and not being customised for use in low resource environments. Likewise, equipment does have a life cycle and will eventually wear out regardless.
Against this background, the area of Biomedical Engineering support this is something we at Medical Aid International take very seriously. This is in terms of when we are advising a partner on equipment, considering the wide variety of considerations that each project requires and in terms of providing a personalised engineering support service. Highlights of this include
- We provide City &Guilds approved programmes. This is an international recognised vocational training awarding body and ensures all our processes and procedures are robust.
- We offer a variety of courses, depending on the background and experience of the delegates, matched alongside the budget and time available.
- We can advise on and provide the full infrastructure when a BioMedical Engineering Service is being set up. What is often not appreciated is that for a BioMedical Engineer to do his job he needs professional tooling and test equipment. Otherwise the training will be of little value, as it cannot be applied.
- We can provide remote support and parts supply.
- Our programmes can include train the trainer as part of a module to ensure the unit is as successful and effective as possible.
- Online programmes will be starting early in 2018.
It is interesting to note that often our team of engineers have repaired an item of equipment that has been out of service for years, or even written off, in minutes, just by using basic skills and basic test equipment.
- BioMedical Engineering Training
- Installation, servicing and repairs in country
- Planned Preventative Maintenance
- Flexible Monthly Service Contracts
- Loan Equipment to Save Down-time
- State of the Art Test Equipment
- PAT testing of non medical equipment at £1 per item
- ECG machines
- Patient monitors – all types
- Syringe drivers
- Portable autoclaves
- Operating and examination lights
- AEDs and defibrillators
- X-Ray viewers
- Anaesthetic machines and ventilators
A large part of our success on many projects is the ability to get the right equipment to the right people at the right time.
Find out how you can help here.